3 SIMPLE WAYS TO CREATE A MORE POSITIVE CLASS ROOM ATMOSPHERE
Teachers are replete with rising complains about lack of discipline, rude behavior of students, disruption and nuisance in classes. This might be the result of growing social pressures on students as well as psychological factors.
The problem has been under active consideration by planners and educationists at all levels and corrective measures are being planned. The psychologists, educationists and politicians are equally concerned about class room atmosphere since, this has a direct link with psychological buildup of youth and achievement of nation building goals. Here we are presenting three simple ways to tackle this issue.
Teachers to lead by Example
After parents, students pass majority of their time, interacting with teachers. Since this is a big chunk of their students’ life, teacher’s role becomes all the more important in shaping their behavior pattern.
Teachers need to understand emotions, needs and interests of their students in order to create a healthy class room environment. When I say that they have to set examples, I definitely want them to be mentors and role models. Let’s see how they can do this:
- Don’t exhibit attributes, you don’t want to see in your students:
-Avoid indiscipline yourself. Always be punctual in class. This is the only way you can ask them to be punctual.
-Never shout. Be polite
-Become a problem solver. Be a guide to them. This will result in increasing student’s trust level and respect for you.
- Show empathy. Step in your student’s shoes and try to understand why they behave in certain fashion. Having a good liaison with their parents will make you understand their family back grounds.
-Don’t show favoritism
- Motivate students. It can be a smile or an appreciation of doing an assignment. Reward students who perform well academically, or show good behavior. A simple tap on shoulder will bring good results.
All these measures suggested above, will have very positive impact on student’s behavior and they will be more obedient and disciplined.
Make class room a fun place and learning a pleasure
Modern class rooms should no more be a lecture delivering room. Remind students that class room is not just a place for monotonous activities. Make learning a fun which children should like as they like other fun activities.
- Teach using technology with gaming and other interactive platforms as your teaching tool.
- Explain practical applications of theories and concepts.
- Make learning participatory by involving students to work in group and encouraging making presentations.
- Use internet, videos, chatting platforms and class room website part of your educating strategy.
- Be humorous at times. Tell students jokes and ask them to share their jokes and funny students with rest of the class.
- Create sense of ownership Teach them that just like their room at home, this class also belongs to them and just as they want to keep their room clean and decorated at home, it is their duty to keep their class room also clean and well decorated.
How to bring discipline
Now we deal with the trickiest part of classroom management. You are right. It is Discipline. The corrective methodology should start at the very outset .i.e. beginning of a new session. Here is a list of actions required.
- On the very first day of a new academic year, decide the rules of discipline, which every student has to follow meticulously. These rules will be framed with collaboration of students and inform them that they have to take ownership of this code of conduct. Clearly explain to them, the consequences of violating these rules.
- Counsel the violating student in isolation with no chance of feeling insulted in presence of others.
- Use non -verbal cuing a method of dealing with disruptive students. Show body gesture and facial expression a sign of disapproval for undesirable behavior.
- Involve parents. Have one to one meeting with parents of a student who creates indiscipline.
- If a student creates nuisance in the class, simply make amendment in his seating arrangement asking him to sit near the teacher so that his behavior may be monitored effectively.
- Engage principal only If, disruptive behavior is of a very serious nature.
In conclusion, we emphasize that class room environment can be positively improved by taking some simple measures. It is all about being kind and considerate to students. Discipline and behavior improves if parents and students are involved proactively in class room management. The key to a better class room atmosphere is teacher’s being leaders who have to lead by example.